Wednesday, January 25, 2012



Fregeau, Laureen A. “Preparing ESL Students for College Writing: Two Case Studies.” The 

           Internet TESL Journal, October 1999. Web. 23 January, 2012 <http://iteslj.org/>

For my blog entry this week I have found an interesting research article from the Internet TESL Journal. It was written by Laureen A. Fregeau of University of South Alabama. She had been an ESL writing teaching for three years when she wrote this article in 1999. To me as an ESL student myself it is a first-hand experience of an ESL writing teacher explained by the teacher herself.
The researcher picked two students from her own class and analyzed the situation very carefully. Through her writing I can vividly see the underlying problems of an ESL composition writing class which are hard to be heard of from other forms of publication. Her qualitative research cannot be said to be subjective since she is trying to picture the tree rather than the woods. It can also be seen that she successfully translated the ideas into actions in her article. It should also be noted that the points she presented in the article abound in everyday teaching practice.
I am also trying to look into some process-based teaching in ESL writing as I had never experienced that at home until I took up teaching college composition last semester. That article sheds lights on the area that I may have missed in my study. That is the reason why I picked this particular article. 

No comments:

Post a Comment